Each year The University of Tennessee Extension, in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service and Tennessee Farm Bureau, sponsor tax seminars at various locations throughout Tennessee. The instruction is directed toward tax professionals who prepare and file tax returns for farm and non-farm businesses, and individuals.
The seminars will include comprehensive coverage of tax provisions in Families First Coronavirus Response and CARES ACTS. Due to COVID-19, we are reducing meeting room capacity to accommodate physical distancing. To ensure you have a seat, we recommend registering early.
Due to COVID-19, we are making major changes in how our tax seminars operate, while maintaining the same excellent instructors and workbook. Major adjustments include the following:
- Registration for the seminars must be completed online. Payment must be made by credit or debit card.
- A searchable PDF download of the 2020 workbook is online for digital distribution. A searchable archive for past nine years is available. The CD has been replaced by PDF downloads; however, you will continue to receive the printed workbook. The RIA handbook has been discontinued.
- Implementing physical distancing guidelines results in reducing facility capacity. We have added another seminar session and a webinar to provide additional opportunities to participate.
- To discourage participants from attending the seminar sick, we implemented a liberal cancellation policy. If you feel sick the day of the seminar, do not attend. Your registration will be refunded with no cancellation fee.
- We are working with caterers and meeting-room managers to implement recommended guidelines.
- A webinar was also added for the benefit of individuals desiring to learn virtually or those not comfortable with attending an in-person seminar.
We are planning for a highly successful sixtieth-year celebration with the in-person seminars. No one knows what the future holds with COVID-19. Even though we are currently making COVID-specific accommodations based on county or city guidance, we will remain flexible and mindful of changing conditions and respond accordingly. Masks must be worn in the building and classroom. Participants should provide their own masks. Exposure to COVID-19 is an inherent risk in any public location where people are present. We cannot guarantee you will not be exposed during your visit. Our first priority is the health and safety of our seminar participants and team members.
Continuing Education Credits
We are looking forward to the sixtieth year of this seminar, which provides the following continuing professional education credit (CPE):
- Fourteen hours Federal Taxation and two hours (not state specific)Ethics for CPA’s. This seminar provides sixteen hours of CPE credits from the Tennessee State Board of Accountancy.
- Seminar is accepted by the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) Board of Standards for continuing education credit. Our sponsor name for CFP credit is Land Grant University Tax Education Foundation, Inc.
- Ten hours Federal Tax; four hours Federal Tax Update; and two hours Ethics for Enrolled Agents. University of Tennessee Extension is approved as an IRS Continuing Education Provider. Our provider number is 9NHYF.
- Ten hours Federal Tax; four hours Federal Tax Update; and two hours Ethics for Other Paid Tax Return Preparers (OTRPs). IRS continuing education (CE) is only mandatory for enrolled agents (EAs) and enrolled retirement plan agents. Participation in CE by all OTRPs is not an official designation, but these individuals may voluntarily take continuing education. The IRS has developed the Annual Filing Season Program (AFSP) for non-credentialed tax return preparers. This federal income tax seminar WILL NOT include the six-hour Annual Federal Tax Refresher course or the test. The course can, however, be counted towards continuing education requirements for AFSP.
Valuable Resource Materials
You will receive:
- 2020 National Income Tax Workbook, a 600+ page production of the Land Grant University Tax Education Foundation, Inc. (The printed Tax Workbook will be distributed at the seminar and mailed to webinar participants.)
- Searchable PDF downloads of the 2020 workbook will be online for digital distribution about two weeks prior to the given date of your seminar or webinar. A searchable archive of tax workbooks for the past nine years will also be available online. No CD will be included in the workbook.
- The 2021 RIA Federal Handbook will not be included with the seminar or available for purchase by participants.
Topics for 2020 National Workbook
- Financial Distress
- Qualified Business Income Deduction Issues
- S Corporation Tax Issues
- Agriculture and Natural Resource Issues
- Business Issues
- Individual Issues
- Business Entity Issues
- Investment and Retirement
- Trust and Estate Issues
- IRS Issues
- New and Expiring Legislation
- Rulings and Cases
- Tax Rates and Useful Tables
- Additional topics and chapters will be added as tax law develops and space permits
To have participants fully aware and cognizant of the latest changes in tax legislation and case rulings for the Federal Tax Code, this year’s regular two-day seminar also includes two hours of Ethics.
$364 if registered by Monday, October 19
$394 after October 19
Registration includes valuable resource materials, instructor fees, lunch, refreshment breaks, and other expenses.
TouchNet is a certified payment gateway that works with Elavon as the processor to securely transmit the customer’s cardholder data. TouchNet is a leading provider of integrated, comprehensive, and secure commerce and credential solutions for colleges and universities. The Institute verifies TouchNet’s certification annually via the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI SCC).
To assure the availability of materials and space, we are requiring online registration in advance, with full payment of the registration fee.
Registration will be taken on a first-come first-served basis. We will only accept registrations equal to the limited reduced seating capacity at each location. We will be unable to accept anyone on the day of the seminar who has not preregistered.
It is our goal to send confirmation e-mails within five business days of receiving the online registration form. If you have questions regarding your registration and enrollment, please contact us at the contact information below. Thank you for your prompt attention to registering online.
If after registration you determine that you will be unable to attend, you may appoint a substitute. Please contact Renee’ Sharp at (865) 680-6220 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the name of the substitute. Cancellations will be accepted up to one week prior to the start of the seminar for which you have registered, and the registration fee will be refunded in full.
Due to COVID-19, the one-week-prior cancellation policy does not apply if you are sick or think you might have COVID-19. Do not attend the seminar and your registration fee will be refunded with no cancellation fee. All refunds will be processed together following the final tax seminar.
Check in for the in-person seminar will begin at 7:45 a.m. on the morning of each seminar and will begin at 8:15 a.m. and end at 4:50 p.m. Details regarding the webinar will be provided at a later date.
Wednesday & Thursday, October 28-29, 2020
Hyder-Burks Ag Pavillion – Tennessee Tech University
2390 Gainsboro Grade Cookeville, TN 38501 – map
Directions: From Knoxville take I‐40 get off at Exit 286, Hwy 135N/ Willow Avenue (3.3 miles) take left on 12th Street go 2.2 miles, take a left, Pavilion on left
Wednesday & Thursday, November 4-5, 2020
Ron Ramsey Regional Agriculture Center
140 Spurgeon Lane, Blountville, TN 37617 – map
Directions: 1.7 miles from Tri-Cities Airport – From I-81 North take Exit 63 (Hwy 357S)/ Airport Pkwy. Travel to Hwy 75/ Bristol Hwy (goes in front of Airport). Turn left and travel 1.7 miles on Hwy 75E, turn left on Spurgeon Lane. Within a few yards turn right into the Agriculture Center.
Do NOT take Centenary Road
Tuesday & Wednesday, November 17-18, 2020* CLOSED
Thursday & Friday, November 19-20, 2020
Tuesday & Wednesday, December 1-2, 2020
Thursday & Friday, December 3-4, 2020
UT Extension Office
315 John R. Rice Blvd Murfreesboro, TN 37129 – map
Directions: Exit I-24 in Murfreesboro at 78-A (Hwy 96), 1st intersection turn right on John R Rice Blvd., go ¾ mile Lane Agri-Park Office on left
Wednesday & Thursday, December 9-10, 2020
Minimum Attendance: 25 participants
*The two-day seminar is repeated for two additional days in Jackson and six additional days in Murfreesboro. The same topics will be covered, but they will not necessarily be covered in the same order.